Saturday, February 27, 2010

... So Take Off All Your Clothes

It's hot. And it's not the heat most of you are used to. It's 100+-I-want-to-tear-out-my-sweat-glands-everyday type of heat. Ask my father for a more in-depth and pain-filled description. He keeps telling me that he enjoyed every minute, but his sweat glands were in hyperdrive, so I'm quite sure that, in retrospect, he will admit that there were moments that were less-than-enjoyable. Even the villagers are complaining.

So I saw my father off this morning. As far as I know, he is in Morocco right now, possibly delayed due to the BLIZZARD in New York. Talk about traveling from one extreme to the other. This past week, while working with our Beninese counterparts in Porto-Novo, we saw updates of both the Winter Olympics and the blizzard in the Northeast. Forgive me for finding it difficult to commiserate. My father shared the same sentiments. But it was great to catch up on some of the current events on CNN, even if most of them are less-than-positive. For instance, it was intriguing to know about the new front against the dangerous shape of hotdogs. Who knew? Apparently the shape makes it easy for the entire hot dog to get lodged in a child's throat. I guess we can no longer cut up a hotdog for our youth, or teach them to chew. And Obama and McCain are still bickering at each other concerning health care. Except for sleeker Apple inventions, I suspect that the world to which I will return will not differ greatly from the world I left.

But I digress. My father and I had a great time, even though bureaucratic school meetings poked a hole in our plans to go on a safari. But my father said that he accomplished his two goals: to see my village and to spy on me for my mom to make sure I was safe. The verdict? I'm safe and warm! But we had a wonderful time. I'll leve it to him to write about our times together. I'm giving him unfettered access to upload photos to my blog. Enjoy! And happy March!

4 comments:

  1. MaryJane Cowell2/27/10, 6:48 AM

    It's true Dave, I hope your PC Health insurance covers you for a while when you get back, because I fear our government will still be hassling! Going to go get Dad at airport, but first I must snowblow the driveway! Anxiously awaiting dad's "report"! Love, mama

    ReplyDelete
  2. so diplomatic! glad you guys had a good time. miss ya, kid.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dave - if you're still there in June maybe you can catch up with Griffin in Accra Ghana, and play some music "Made in Africa". Stay safe, do good work, learn lots. Mr. B.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! This is a bonus now that your mom and I are "facebook friends" !! Glad you're well but maybe in a "hot flash" that just won't quit! (Never mind...you're too young.) Glad your dad was able to get over there to see you. He's coming home to "spring-like weather". Snow is melting!
    Mrs. Burt

    ReplyDelete