Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Don't Slow Down

It's been a week of highs, lows, small successes, tomfoolery, bitter disappointments, and - in the midst of it all - a moment of complete clarity. This is what the culmination of a year of cultural integration and English instruction feels like. Cultural Days are school-initiated parties (of sorts) that are meant to unify the student body and celebrate the end of the school year. While the activities differ from school to school, student participation is surprisingly high across the country. My most persistent trouble-makers channeled some of their listless energy into some pretty impressive cultural dance routines, skits, soccer matches, and songs. It seems hard to believe, but some of my most timid girls have really amazing senses of humor outside of the classroom.

I am going to miss all of them. My heart breaks when I think of the many hurdles faced by my brightest girls in this country. But there are those who are able to receive good grades, diligently complete homework assignments, cook meals, wash clothes, get water from the well (about a half-mile away) several times a day, and still manage to sport a smile that can lift me up from my gloomiest moods. This is the power of the Beninese mindset. Fortitude of mind, attitude, and the refusal to let the adverse reality of their lives get them down. Some of those girls... they may be the people most deserving of my respect, if not awe.

Apparently a year in Benin has changed my perspective a bit. I can't wait to participate in the girls empowerment camp in Parakou next week. More details on that later.

I promise to post pictures next week. For now, I need to get back to post to teach my last class at CEG Kemon.

Some of you who'd previously received many letters may have noticed that they've tapered off a bit. Sorry! But I'm rarely alone anymore, and it's only getting busier, so know that you are always on my mind.

Happy Summer to everyone. Two months from today, I'll be setting foot on American soil.

1 comment: