Friday, November 6, 2009

And I'm Locked Up (Won't let me out)

Lockdown. Less than 2 months to go. Will life change after that? I have no idea. Heres a recap of the past month. Piecemeal. Or should I say Peacemeal? I started teaching on Oct. 1 at CEG Kemon, which means that I watched young (middle school aged) children do hard ,anual labor that would be considered cruel and unusual punishment for prisoners in the US. But the kids (and everyone here, for that matter) are tough, and this is what they expect, so I saw little resistance from my village's youth. After a week of watching painful inefficiency, we started classes. Unfortunately, I lacked a classroom the first day and I taught the first class under a tree. I felt like a stereotypical volunteer with this undertaking, but these kids will never forget where they first learned how to ask "What's your name?" Unfortunately; there are some students who cant even speak French (which is what they speak here in schools), so the lesson may have been lost on some of them. Other than that, class is great. I was given another class last week, but unfortunately the time was double-booked, so the kids sat there teacherless for 2 hours. But it's the kind of thing you come to expect. "Tu as fait un peu?" Sometimes, if conditions allow.
My village is beautiful. Ok, and I'm out of time (I had so much more to write) but I promise that I'll be able to get a good one written in 2 weeks! It takes a long time here in internet cafes... Du courage! Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment